Turkey cutlets or breast can sometimes be tough and tasteless. Transform this dry meat into a gourmet selection by marinating it in pesto and then grilling it. The pesto marinade coats the meat on the outside while making it flavorful throughout. And if you don’t feel like a cookout, don’t fret – Pesto Grilled Turkey is equally delicious when broiled or grilled in the oven.
Active Prep time: 20 minutes
Inactive prep time: 30 minutes (for marinating)
Serves: 4 to 6
1 to 1½ pounds Trader Joe’s® turkey cutlets or breast (boneless)
¾ cup prepared pesto sauce (see Cilantro Pesto, published on this website on April 28, 2011)*
1. In a large glass or porcelain bowl, evenly coat the turkey cutlets with pesto sauce.
2. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Outdoor Cooking Method:
3. After 30 minutes of marinating, grill the turkey cutlets on an outdoor grill, 5 to 7 minutes per side (check doneness by slicing the cutlet in half – the cut side should be white, as opposed to pink).
Indoor Cooking Method:
1. After 30 minutes of marinating, arrange the cutlets on a foil-lined baking sheet.
2. Place the baking sheet 6 inches away from oven’s top broiler or grilling element.
3. Grill turkey cutlets for 7 to 9 minutes per side (check doneness as in above directions).
Serve cutlets with a side of Jalapeño Slaw (published on this blog on August 24, 2011).
Wine pairing suggestion: Chilled Pinot Gris, Pinot Grigio or your favorite white wine.
*Note: Store-bought, traditional basil pesto sauce can also be used in this recipe.
Text & Photograph © 2011 Nancy DeLucia Real