The classic Caprese Salad consists of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, olive oil and basil leaves. I’ve changed this recipe because I like tweaking and creating new recipes.
My version has some fresh pesto sandwiched between the tomato and mozzarella. There are no words or emotions to describe the luscious flavors of this Caprese with Basil Almond Pesto!
Prep time: 7 to 10 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
2 to 3 ripe tomatoes
extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
salt and pepper, to taste
6 to 8 teaspoons Basil Almond Pesto (found in our Recipes, under “Salad Dressings, Salsas & Savory Sauces)
1 pound fresh mozzarella balls (these are called “bocconcini” or small bites)
4 to 6 large, fresh basil leaves
1. Slice the tomatoes in 1/4-inch thick slices and lay on a serving platter.
2. Drizzle the oil over tomato slices, followed by salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Spread 1 teaspoon Basil Almond Pesto on each tomato slice.
4. Drain all water from the mozzarella bocconcini and, on a cutting board, gently cut them in half.
5. Lay each one, flat side down, over the pesto and tomato (the rounded side of bocconcini should be face-up).
5. Drizzle some olive oil over each tomato-bocconcini component, followed by salt and pepper, to taste.
6. Cut the basil leaves in slivers and use them to decorate the plate or to decorate the salad.
Enjoy as a starter or salad course.
Text and Photograph © 2012 Nancy DeLucia Real.