What fruit are you enjoying these days? Mmm, that’s what I thought – plums. If you’re buying them from your local farmers’ market, then you’re getting fresh, ripe plums. And, they’re sweet!
For an easy dessert this summer, make or buy pie pastry, slice up those plums, sprinkle them lightly with sugar et voilà. It’s fast, fresh and everyone will go, “Wowwww, how beautiful!”
Nancy’s Easy Pie Pastry* (recipe previously posted on this website)
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 30 to 40 minutes
Makes: One 9-inch tart
ready-made pie pastry
3 to 4 fresh, ripe plums, sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
2 tablespoons granulated sugar, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Follow the rolling-out instructions for one sheet of pie pastry and transfer it to a large cookie sheet.
3. Lay out the plum slices in concentric circles and sprinkle sugar over them.
4. Turn the pastry edges inward, over the plums.
5. Cover the pastry edges with one-inch thick aluminum foil sheets.
6. Place tart on a rack positioned in center of oven and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until plums are tender and slightly bubble.
7. Remove foil strips for last 5 minutes of baking. Cool on cookie sheet set on counter.
8. Serve warm or cold, topped with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.
Text and Photograph ©2012 Nancy DeLucia Real.
*Note: Fast and Fresh Plum Tart requires one rolled-out pie pastry.
Alternatively, use Nancy’s Healthy Pie Pastry (found in our Recipes, under Pastry for Sweet & Savory Pies) which yields two pastry sheets. You can make half the pastry recipe – it will yield one pastry sheet.