For this vibrant pizza, you already know that I’m an advocate of pre-made pizza dough from Trader Joe’s® refrigerated section. It’s delicious, fast and easy.
These pizzas are perfect for that Halloween party you’ve been planning. Make a few of these pizzas (by doubling or tripling the recipe) in minutes. You’ll surely please all the spooks and zombies out there.
Have fun and stay safe on Halloween.
Active prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 13 to 15 minutes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
One 16-ounce Trader Joe’s® plain, refrigerated pizza dough
3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 large yellow tomato, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
6 red grape tomatoes, cut in half
6 yellow grape tomatoes, cut in half
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 to 12 fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 450ºF.
2. Using a pastry brush or your fingers, spread the vegetable oil evenly on a 16-inch round or 12 X 16-inch rectangular baking sheet.
3. Place the dough over the oiled sheet and flatten slightly.
4. Flip the dough over and begin stretching the dough gently with fingertips until it fits into sides of the baking sheet.
5. Brush the dough with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
6. Arrange the shredded mozzarella evenly over pizza dough.
7. Follow with the yellow tomato rounds, red and yellow grape tomatoes.
8. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and remaining olive oil and top the pizza with basil leaves.
9. Place sheet with pizza on a rack positioned in upper third of oven and bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until the crust edges begin to turn light golden.
10. Transfer the pizza to bottom rack and bake an additonal 4 to 5 minutes or until bottom of pizza is golden brown.
Wine paring suggestion: Pinot Grigio (white).
Text and Photograph ©2012 Nancy DeLucia Real