Don’t you just love the winter months? This is when we can eat foods that warm the heart and soul. One of my fav’s is Sherpherd’s Pie – our family recipe is made with mashed organic potatoes, corn and ground beef or turkey. Enjoy this one-dish dinner next to a fireplace and let the evening linger with a few glasses of wine…
Prep time: 30 to 40 minutes
Bake time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
2 pounds Yukon Gold organic potatoes (or other favorite variety)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pound organic ground beef or turkey
3/4 cup finely chopped white or brown onion
1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth (optional – for mashed potatoes)
One 15-ounce can organic corn, drained, rinsed & drained once more
Prepare the Mashed Potatoes:
1. Peel the potatoes, cut them into 3-inch chunks.
2. As you cut the potatoes, immediately place them in a 4 to 5-quart sauce pot, covered with cold water (this will avoid blackening of potatoes).
3. After all potatoes have been placed in sauce pot, drain them and cover them with cold water once more.
4. Bring potatoes to a boil.
5. Boil potatoes on medium heat until they are cooked through – about 7 to 10 minutes.
6. After 7 to 10 minutes, test the tenderness of potatoes by piercing one of the chunks with a fork or pointed knife.
7. When potatoes are cooked, drain them in a metal colander.
8. Return potatoes to the sauce pot and mash the potatoes with a masher; stir in the butter or olive oil.
9. Add salt, ground black pepper and the broth, to taste.
10. Cover the mashed potatoes in sauce pot and set them aside.
Prepare the Ground Meat Filling:
1. In a 12-inch skillet and on medium-high setting, heat 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
2. When oil is hot, add the ground meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon continuously (this will avoid large clumps).
3. As soon as the meat turns gray, stir in the chopped onion with salt and ground black pepper, to taste.
4. Cook the meat mixture for 5 to 7 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and onions are translucent.
5. When meat is cooked, transfer it to a clean, metal colander to drain over a bowl.
6. Let meat drain for about 5 minutes.
Assemble & Bake the Sherpherd’s Pie:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Oil or butter a 10 X 10-inch baking dish (alternatively, a rectangular or oval dish can be used).
3. Transfer half of the mashed potatoes to the baking dish, spreading the potatoes evenly.
4. Add half of the drained meat mixture, spreading it evenly over the mashed potatoes.
5. Spoon the drained corn over the meat.
6. Top the corn with remaining mashed potatoes.
7. Cover the Sherpherd’s Pie with baking dish cover or with aluminum foil.
8. Set Shepherd’s Pie on a rack positioned in center of oven and bake for 20 minutes.
9. After 20 minutes of baking, uncover the Shepherd’s Pie and place it underneath oven overhead grill.
10. Grill the Shepherd’s Pie for 4 to 5 minutes (stand watch in order to avoid charring).
11. Serve Shepherd’s Pie immediately. If desired, add a little ketchup on the side.
Wine Pairing: Cabernet Sauvignon (with ground beef version)
Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio (with ground turkey version)
Text and Photograph ©2015 Nancy DeLucia Real