These days, the Santa Monica Farmers’ Market and other farmers’ markets in California provide us with fresh, seasonal cauliflower. Cauliflower is high in Vitamin C, low in carbs and fat and rich in dietary fiber. The longer cauliflower is cooked, the more its nutritional value dissipates. Therefore, it is recommended to cook this vegetable until it is barely “al dente” or crunchy-tender.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6 (as a side dish)
Try this exciting cauliflower salad, flavored with olive oil, lemon, bits of fresh oranges, raisins and fresh oregano. Serve it at a barbecue, lunch or dinner this summer. Vegan or not, they’ll all chow down this colorful, healthy salad in minutes!
One cauliflower head, leaves removed & discarded and white florets separated into 2-inch chunks
3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lime or lemon
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 orange, peeled, rind removed and fruit cut into 1-/4-inch pieces
3 tablespoons white or dark raisins
2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
1. Place the cauliflower florets in a 4-quart saucepot; barely cover with cold water.
2. Cover the sauce pot and bring the cauliflower to a boil.
3. Boil the cauliflower for approximately 2 minutes.
4. After 2 minutes, pierce one cauliflower floret with a fork to check for tenderness. Do not overcook the cauliflower.
5. If fork resists piercing, it means the cauliflower is still raw. If needed, cook for an additional 1 or 2 minutes.
6. After 1 minutes, check doneness of cauliflower with fork and/or taste it. The cauliflower should be “al dente” or crunchy-tender.
7. Drain the cauliflower in a colander set over a sink. Let it cool slightly, for 5 minutes.
8. After 5 minutes, transfer the drained cauliflower to a glass or porcelain serving bowl.
9. Add the olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper, raisins and fresh oregano leaves. Stir to combine.
10. Taste the cauliflower salad and adjust seasonings, if needed.
Text and Photograph ©2015 Nancy DeLucia Real
Everything you make looks delicious and yummy and your photos look amazing!!! Will try this.