When I created this recipe I was in the mood to fine-tune brown rice into something exciting. I combined organic brown rice, colorful bell peppers, onions, carrots, lime juice, olive oil and white Balsamic vinegar. It’s vegan, too!
This “speckled” brown rice salad makes for a perfect side dish at our upcoming barbecue on Labor Day weekend. Have fun!
Cook time (rice): 25 to 35 minutes
Prep time (chopping ingredients): 10 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6 (as a side dish)
1 cup raw, organic, long grain rice
1-3/4 cups water
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper or Pasilla pepper
3 green onions, cut into thin circles (including light green stems)
1 tablespoon white Balsamic vinegar
Juice of 1 lime or lemon
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a 12-inch, nonstick skillet, combine the rice and water. Cover and bring rice to a boil.
2. When rice comes to a boil, lower heat to simmer and stir the rice once.
3. Cover the rice and simmer for 25 to 35 minutes or until rice is al dente or crunchy-tender.
4. When rice is cooked it will be puffy and dry. Immediately transfer it to a glass or porcelain bowl.
5. Gently stir 1 tablespoon olive oil into the rice.
6. Set rice aside to cool for 10 minutes.
7. After 10 minutes, gently stir remaining ingredients into the rice. Taste and, if needed, adjust seasonings.
Text and Photograph ©2015 Nancy DeLucia Real