Thinking of a quick, no-brainer recipe for Cinco de Mayo? Make these organic & delicious vegan tostadas. You’ll probably have to double or triple the recipe because these starters will vanish in no time!
Be sure to use Amy’s Vegetarian Organic Refried Beans®. This bean product contains meat or animal fat products. Anything you make with these beans will taste wholesome and natural.
Prep time: 15 to 20 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
4 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (with pulp discarded)
1/2 cup finely-chopped red onion
1 teaspoon finely-chopped Serrano chile pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (you may add more, to taste)
1/2 cup finely-chopped fresh cilantro leaves
One 15.4-ounce can Amy’s Vegetarian Organic Refried Beans®
12 blue or yellow corn, flat tostada shells
Avocado slices (from 1 avocado), optional
1/2 cup grated, dry cheese (Cotija, Parmigiano Reggiano or other variety)
Make Pico de Gallo Salsa:
1. In a 1 to 2-quart mixing bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, onion, Serrano chile pepper, salt and cilantro leaves. Taste and adjust chile pepper & salt levels.
2. Set Pico de Gallo aside, covered.
Warm Up The Refried Beans:
1. Meanwhile, transfer the refried beans to a small saucepot.
2. On medium-high setting, warm up the beans, stirring constantly.
3. As beans warm up, if consistency is too thick or dry, add a little water.
1. When beans are hot, spread about 2 tablespoons on each tostada set on a serving platter.
2. Top the beans with 2 tablespoons Pico de Gallo Salsa.
3. If desired add 1 or 2 thin slices avocado, followed by a sprinkle of grated cheese.
4. Serve with Margaritas or Tequila shots – Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Text & Photograph ©2017 Nancy DeLucia Real