Make this easy recipe: poach the fish filets and make the sauce in minutes. The sauce’s rich, yellow hue is derived from saffron. It’s flavor and aroma are perfectly balanced when combined with poached fish filets.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
Ingredients for Saffron Sauce:
1 slice country bread (Italian or French), crust removed
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons meat or vegetable broth
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ to 1 teaspoon saffron threads or ground saffron
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Prepare the Sauce:
1. In a skillet or a toaster, grill or toast the bread.
2. In a small saucepan or skillet, soak bread with broth.
3. When bread is very soft, mash it thoroughly, add the ginger, ½ teaspoon saffron threads and ½ teaspoon salt and dash black pepper; bring sauce to a boil.
4. When sauce comes to a boil, add the vinegar and simmer until thickened.
5. Add salt, to taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
6. For smoother consistency, force the sauce through a strainer.
7. Set sauce aside in a bowl, covered, until ready to serve the fish.
Ingredients for the Fish:
1-3/4 pounds fresh tuna (cod, haddock, halibut or other filets can be substituted)
salt, to taste
Prepare the Fish Filets:
1. Wash the fish and pat it dry with paper towels.
2. Transfer fish to a 12-inch skillet or pan; add cold water to cover and 1-1/2 teaspoons salt.
3. Bring fish to a boil, lower heat and simmer fish until done – begin checking fish after about 10 minutes.
4. If using tuna, it should be cooked but still moist.
5. Using a slotted spoon or spatula, gently lift fish filets out of water, drain and transfer them onto a serving platter. Cover with aluminum foil.
6. Meanwhile, warm sauce and pour it over fish; serve immediately.
7. Accompany this dish with boiled asparagus or string beans.
Text and Photograph ©2017 Nancy DeLucia Real