Cook time (lentils): 20 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Serves: 8 to 12
I got tired of lentil soup and decided to reinvent lentils. This recipe combines lentils with apples, herbs, olive oil and other seasonings. Serve my Lentil, Apples & Herbs on July 4th!
1 lb (16 ounces) lentils, cooked per package directions; drained & cooled
1 red onion, peeled & finely chopped
4 celery stalks, bottom white tips discarded & stalks finely chopped
1 apple (any variety)
Juice from 1 lemon
extra virgin olive oil, to taste
white or golden Balsamic vinegar, to taste
5 sprigs fresh mint leaves (plus extra, for garnish)
2 sprigs fresh oregano leaves
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1. After lentils have cooked, drained & cooled, transfer them to a large serving bowl.
2. Add chopped red onion and celery to bowl with lentils; set aside.
3. Cut apple into fourths; core apple.
4. Cut apple fourths into 1/8-inch thick slices; cut slices into slivers; set aside in a small bowl.
5. Immediately add lemon juice to apple & gently toss; set aside.
6. Add olive oil, Balsamic vinegar to lentils; set aside.
7. Meanwhile, finely chop 5 mint and oregano leaf sprigs (discard stems).
8. Add chopped mint, oregano, salt and ground black pepper to lentils in bowl; toss.
9. Drain lemon juice from apple slivers; toss apple slivers into lentil salad.
10. Taste the salad and, if needed, adjust seasonings.
11. Serve Lentils, Apples & Herbs immediately or prepare up to 4 hours ahead and refrigerate (covered).
12. The salad will keep (refrigerated) up to 3 days.
Text & Photograph ©2018 Nancy DeLucia Real