One of my favorite recipes published on this website is the Guacamole Romano.
To make this appetizer even more exciting, why not spread the guacamole on toasted Flaxseed Bread with Honey and Sesame Seeds (previously published on this website). Add some chopped tomatoes and you’ve just prepared a highly nutritional appetizer. You can even enjoy this fun food for breakfast or lunch.
Prep time: 15 to 20 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
1 yellow tomato, pulp discarded and tomato cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 red tomato, pulp discarded and tomato cut into 1/4-inch pieces
8 to 10 slices Flaxseed Bread with Honey and Sesame Seeds, toasted
One Guacamole Romano recipe
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped, fresh cilantro leaves
1. In a small bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes; toss in a little salt, to taste, and set aside.
2. Spread a heaping tablespoon of guacamole on each toast.
3. As you prepare each toast, set it on a serving platter.
4. When all toasts have been spread with guacamole, divide the chopped tomatoes and top them evenly over the toasts.
5. Garnish toasts with chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
Text and Photograph ©2015 Nancy DeLucia Real
ENTER OUR KITCHEN, WATCH & LEARN
What happens when you combine guacamole with Pecorino Romano cheese? You create an impressive party recipe with a twist – Guacamole Romano.
Happy New Year!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
2 large, ripe avocados
2 tablespoons chopped red onion,
1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Salt, to taste
1. Cut each avocado in half horizontally. Using the knife, cut into the pit. Make a quick twist and remove the pit.
2. With a spoon, scoop out the avocado flesh and transfer it to a shallow mixing bowl.
3. Using a fork, gently mix in the onion and the chopped jalapeño pepper – do not overmix (the guacamole should be chunky).
4. Stir in the Pecorino Romano cheese and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Taste and adjust salt level by adding a sprinkle of salt, if needed.
5. Transfer Guacamole Romano to a bowl and serve immediately with tortilla chips.
Text & Photographs ©2011 Nancy DeLucia Real
Pear & Gorgonzola Pizza
Penne with Cilantro Pesto & Edamame