SEE RECIPE FOTO ON FACEBOOK/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ;
INSTAGRAM/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ; TWITTER/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ!
After I purchased sandwich cookie cake molds at a local Williams Sonoma® store, I was inspired to make this cake for our 2020 December holidays – (this is to memorialize a year of C19 lockdowns in March and in December).
Mirroring our current lives, the cake is simple, with no frills. But it’s delicious, too.
Enjoy this comforting dessert with your favorite coffee, tea or liqueur after your Chanukah, Christmas or New Year dinner!
Prep time: 20 minutes (cake); and 10 minutes (frosting
Bake time: 25 to 30 minutes
Serves: 12 to 15
Ingredients for the Cake:
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (safflower or sunflower) or unsalted butter (for greasing cake pans)
1/2 cup cocoa powder or more (for dusting cake pans)
2 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
1-3/4 cups granulated sugar (unbleached)
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup milk (whole or low-fat)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (safflower or sunflower)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 ounces melted, unsweetened chocolate (cooled)
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease two Williams Sonoma® Cookie Cake Pans or two 9-inch round cake pans.
3. Sprinkle cocoa powder over greased cake pans; shake off excess. Set pans aside.
4. Measure remaining ingredients in a large (12-cup) mixing bowl.
5. Beat 1 minute on low speed, constantly scraping bowl with a spatula.
6. Beat 3 minutes on high speed; scraping bowl occasionally.
7. Pour cake batter into pans until they reach 2/3 height. If there’s extra batter, grease and dust with cocoa a 2-cup baking dish (make a third cake to use for a separate purpose).
8. Place cake pans on a rack positioned in center of oven; bake for 25 to 30 minutes (bake small, extra cake for 15 minutes; check doneness).
9. Test doneness of cakes by inserting a pointed knife in center of each one. If knife comes out clean, the cakes are done.
10. Remove cakes from oven and set aside on a cooling rack or trivets on a counter for 15 minutes.
11. Invert the cakes onto a parchment paper-lined cutting board.
12. Meanwhile, prepare the Cream Cheese Frosting:
Ingredients for the Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 to 3 teaspoons milk (whole or low-fat)
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
1. In a large (12-cup) mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, milk, vanilla with handheld mixer. Alternatively, use a stand mixer fitted with a bowl.
2. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, on low speed, until smooth and spreadable. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, using a spatula, turn one cake over and set it on a serving platter (with print side facing down).
4. Spread the frosting evenly over cake on platter.
5. Place the second cake, printed side up, on top of frosting.
6. Serve immediately by cutting cake into slices or refrigerate cake (covered) up to 2 days ahead.
7. If making this cake ahead, remove from refrigerator 2 hours prior to serving.
Text ©2020 Nancy DeLucia Real