Do you usually crave something sweet with that afternoon coffee, cappuccino, latte or tea? If you’re like me, then you want sweets at all hours of the day. I created these healthy treats in an effort to avoid dairy products, eggs and sugar.
The moist texture of these bars is derived from the maple syrup and honey. Cranberries, walnuts, cinnamon and nutmeg are added to make these bars scrumptious, healthy and vegan. Serve these Fruit n’Nut Oatmeal Bars to your kids – guilt-free!
Prep time: 8 to 10 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
1 cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash grated nutmeg
1/2 to 3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup safflower oil (this can be substituted with canola or sunflower oil)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour an 8 X 8-inch baking dish (alternatively, you can use a rectangular dish measuring approximately 7 X 10 inches).
2. In a 3 or 4-quart mixing bowl, combine the oatmeal, flour, salt, baking soda, spices, cranberries and walnuts.
3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
4. Add the oil, maple syrup, honey and vanilla to the well in center of the dry ingredients.
5. Mix thoroughly and transfer mixture to the greased baking dish.
6. With your hand, pat down the mixture so that it is even from center to sides of baking dish.
7. Transfer the baking dish to a rack positioned in center of oven.
8. Bake for 25 minutes or until the oatmeal mixture looks golden brown.
9. After 25 minutes, transfer the baking dish to a counter to cool.
10. When completely cool, cut bars to measure 2 X 2 inches and serve.
To store in refrigerator: transfer Fruit n’ Nut Oatmeal Bars to a glass or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid. The bars will keep, refrigerated, up to two weeks.
To freeze: transfer Fruit n’Nut Oatmeal Bars to double, plastic, freezer bags and seal completely. The bars will keep, frozen, up to one month.
Text and Photograph ©2013 Nancy DeLucia Real