This tart comes with no flour, no sugar (not even agave nectar!), no baking and no guilt! Sounds too good to be true, right?
The tart’s crust is made of ground dates and walnuts. And, the filling is made of pureed mangoes which is topped with fresh fruit.
Serve this luscious tart as a fruit, dessert course or both. They’ll all go nuts over this – literally!
Prep time: 15 to 20 minutes
2 cups walnut meats, unsalted
1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped, dried mangoes
1-1/2 cups chopped, fresh mangoes (about 2 mangoes)
2 kiwi fruits
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup fresh raspberries (optional and interchangeable with the blueberries)
1 or more fresh strawberries (you can create your own garnish pattern)
Directions for the Crust:
1. In a food processor, combine the walnut meats and dates.
2. Process until mixture has crumbled and sticks together – the mixture should not be too fine. Do not over process.
3. Transfer the walnut-date mixture to a 9-inch tart pan that with a removable bottom.
4. Using your hands, press the mixture evenly over bottom of tart pan. Make sure it fits into the edges snuggly.
5. Set the tart pan with crust aside while you prepare the filling.
Directions for the Tart Filling:
1. In a bowl, combine the dried mango pieces with cold water (the water should cover the fruit); let sit for 10 to 12 minutes.
2. When dried mango pieces are soft, drain them and discard the water.
3. In a clean food processor, combine the soaked mango pieces with the chopped, fresh mangoes.
4. Process until the mangoes are pureed.
5. Using a spoon, gently transfer the pureed mango filling onto the crust.
6. Spread the filling evenly until it reaches the edges of tart pan.
7. Garnish the tart with sliced kiwis, blueberries and/or raspberries and strawberries.
Text and Photograph ©2016 Nancy DeLucia Real