Don’t you just love homemade jams and preserves? Making them is easy, too. For a quick strawberry jam, all you have to do is boil the fruit with sugar. In no time at all, you’ll spoil everyone who tastes this delicious concoction! Enjoy Quick Strawberry Jam on toasted bread at breakfast, or whenever you feel like having a natural snack.
16 ounces (one pound) fresh strawberries
1/2 cup granulated, organic, unbleached sugar
1. Remove and discard stems from strawberries.
2. Rinse the strawberries; cut them into fourths, lengthwise.
3. In a 2-quart sauce pot, combine the strawberries, sugar and cinnamon; stir with a wooden spoon.
4. Bring the strawberry mixture to a boil; immediately reduce heat to medium and stir.
5. After reducing heat, cook the strawberry mixture for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. After 3 to 5 minutes, using a hand masher, mash the fruit. The mixture will now have liquid as well as pulp.
7. Cook the strawberry jam for an additional 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced and thickened.
8. Transfer the hot jam to a glass bowl or jar. Partially cover the bowl or jar (this will let the heat and steam escape).
9. When the jam has cooled completely, store it in a glass container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate it up to one week.
Note: the consistency of Quick Strawberry Jam will appear more runny than conventional jam (this is due to no thickening agents being added).
Text and Photographs ©2014 Nancy DeLucia Real