Simply make your own apple pie in advance. After the show, just hang out with your friends and enjoy pie with the bubbly! Check out this easy apple pie recipe with pre-made crust from Trader Joe’s®.
Prep time: 30 minutes (cutting apples & assembling the pie)
Bake time: 35 to 45 minutes
Makes: One 9-inch pie
6 large apples (Granny Smith, Pippin or a mixed variety)
1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar (use unbleached or bleached sugar)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 Trader Joe’s® Gourmet Pie Crusts (follow thawing instructions, per package)
One 9-inch pie plate (discardable aluminum, porcelain or glass)
3 to 4 one-inch wide aluminum foil strips (for pie edges & to prevent burning)
Prepare the Apples:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Peel and cut apples into fourths; remove cores and discard.
3. Thinly slice the apples and set them aside in a large mixing bowl.
4. In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and allspice.
5. Gently stir the dry flour-sugar-spice ingredients into the apples until uniform; set aside.
Assemble the Pie:
1. Gently unfold the thawed pie pastry (crusts).
2. Remove the top plastic wrap of one pastry.
3. Place inverted pie plate onto pastry.
4. With one hand underneath the bottom plastic wrap and the other on inverted plate, quickly flip the plate over on a work surface.
5. Remove the plastic wrap and discard.
6. Using a fork, poke random holes in bottom pie pastry in plate.
7. Using a large serving spoon, transfer the apples (in a mound – do not pack them down) onto the pie pastry in plate. Set aside.
8. Repeat removal of plastic wrap of second pie pastry. With one hand underneath plastic wrap and the other over pastry, quickly flip it over and onto the apple filling in plate.
9. The pastry should hang over plate edges by 3/4 to 1 inch. If it is longer than this, using a knife, gently trim it.
10. Using fingers, turn edges of pastry underneath and crimp the edges all around pie plate. To crimp edges, gently press pastry in between fingertips to seal the pie.
11. Cover pastry edges with aluminum foil strips.
12. Place pie on a rack positioned in center of oven and bake as follows:
Aluminum plate – 45 minutes
Glass or porcelain plate – 35 to 40 minutes (glass and porcelain cook faster, as they retain more heat).
13. During last 5 minutes of baking, remove aluminum foil strips so that edges can turn light golden brown.
Tip: To check doneness of pie, insert a pointed knife in center. If it goes through apples easily, it means they are tender and cooked. If not, bake for an additional 5 to 6 minutes.
Text and Pie on Blue Background Photograph ©2016 Nancy DeLucia Real