SEE RECIPE FOTO ON FACEBOOK/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ;
INSTAGRAM/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ; TWITTER/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ!
Yesterday (during our COVID-19 confinement), I thought of making my best pastry, slicing apples and voila! I made a delicious apple pie. Thinking ahead in our current situation, I froze the pie for a future dinner. What the heck – all I have to do is defrost the pie and warm it in the oven. Don’t forget the vanilla ice cream or gelato for “a la mode” style.
NOTE: At this point in our home-confinement, kids will have fun with this recipe. Try it!
Pastry Ingredients for 9 to 10-inch pie pan:
2-2/3 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup safflower or sunflower oil
4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
Prepare Pastry Dough:
1. In a 4-quart mixing bowl, measure flour and salt; add oil.
2. Mix with pastry cutter or a fork until particles are size of small peas.
3. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough amalgamates. If needed, add 1 to 2 more tablespoons water.
4. Gather dough into a ball; divide it into 2 balls. Cover in plastic wrap and place in freezer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the apples:
Ingredients for Apple Filling:
6 large apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
3/4 cup granulated, unbleached sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Mix the Apple Filling:
1. Place the sliced apples in 4 to 6-quart mixing bowl; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves.
3. Add the dry flour-spice mixture to the apples and stir well with a large spoon. Set aside.
Roll Out the Pastry Dough:
1. Lightly flour two waxed paper sheets, each measuring 16 inches long.
2. Flatten one dough ball into a circle until it is 3/4 inches thick. Place it between the floured waxed sheets.
3. Using a rolling pin, gently roll out the pastry using short strokes going outward. You may have to lift and re-flour the sheets so the dough will not stick.
4. Peel off top waxed sheet and, placing one hand underneath bottom sheet with pastry dough, make a quick flip into pie pan. Peel off remaining waxed sheet.
5. Repeat rolling out instructions for remaining pastry dough. Peel off top waxed sheet and set aside.
Fill and Seal the Pie:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Using a fork or knife, make holes in pastry lining the pan.
3. Give the applies a mix and turn them into the pastry-lined pan. They should sit in a mound.
4. Using a pastry wheel, cut 1-inch wide strips from the remaining pastry dough.
5. Beginning with longest strip, place it in center over top of apples. Place remaining strips on each side of center strip – one inch apart.
6. On the diagonal, repeat laying out remaining strips over first layer of strips.
7. Trim edges of pastry to 1-inch overhang.
8. With fingers, grab & roll pastry edges under to edge of pie pan. Make a curvy design as you work around pie pan.
9. Cover edges of pastry with 1-inch wide strips of aluminum foil (this prevents burning).
10. Place pie pan on a rack positioned in center of oven & bake 30 minutes.
11. After 30 minutes, remove foil strips and bake additional 5 minutes.
12. Immediately transfer pie to cooling rack or wooden board set on a counter.
13. Serve apple pie warm with vanilla ice cream or gelato.
ALTERNATIVELY, FOR STORAGE:
- COVER PIE WITH PLASTIC WRAP AND REFRIGERATE UNTIL THE NEXT DAY; OR
- COVER PIE WITH PLASTIC WRAP. THEN, PLACE PIE IN A LARGE PLASTIC BAG (USE WHITE KITCHEN TRASH BAGS).
- REMOVE AIR AND MAKE A KNOT IN FIRST BAG.
- PLACE BAG WITH PIE IN 2ND BAG & SECURE WITH A KNOT; PLACE IN FREEZER. DOUBLE BAGS WILL KEEP OUT THE “FREEZER BURN”.
- ON DAY OF SERVING, BRING PIE TO ROOM TEMPERATURE.
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350°F.
- COVER TOP OF PIE TO EDGES WITH ALUMINUM FOIL, PLACE IT ON A RACK POSITIONED IN CENTER OF OVEN & WARM IT FOR 30 MINUTES.
Text & Photographs ©2020 Nancy DeLucia Real