Roasted turkey never tasted more succulent! The marinade for this bird is rich with smoky chipotle chiles, citrus, honey and garlic flavors. You can also use it for roasting chicken (whole or cut in pieces). Enjoy your Thanksgiving feast!
Prep time (for marinade): 15 minutes
Prep time (for roasting turkey): Follow the turkey wrapping instructions
Makes: 1 turkey (12 to 16 pounds)
3 tablespoons salt (divided)
6 cloves garlic, peeled
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Juice from 2 limes
1/3 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
1/3 to 1/2 cup chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Rinse turkey well and drain it; set on paper towels set on a baking sheet.
2. Pat turkey dry (inside and out) with fresh paper towels.
2. Place turkey in roasting pan & rub its interior cavity with 2 tablespoons salt; set remaining 1 tablespoon salt aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree together the garlic cloves, olive oil, lime and orange juices, chipotle chiles, thyme leaves, black pepper and 1 tablespoon remaining salt.
5. Pour the marinade over entire turkey; cover well with aluminum foil.
6. Roast in preheated oven set at temperature indicated in turkey wrapping instructions – it is usually 325°F.
7. For timing, follow the same instructions (time will vary according to weight of turkey).
8. To brown turkey: uncover it during the last 30 to 45 minutes of roasting.
9. Every 20 minutes or so, baste the turkey with marinade sauce.
10. Turkey is done when the breast is cut at its thickest point and juices run clear.
11. Set turkey in roasting pan on a cooling rack or counter for about 10 to 15 minutes.
12. Slice and serve the turkey with the strained liquid in roasting pan and with your favorite sides.
Recipe Text ©2019 Nancy DeLucia Real