This succulent chicken dish is made with our present bounty of peaches and zucchini. Once the chicken is stewed with these ingredients, it is sweet and perfect with rice and/or green salad. These sides balance the luscious flavors of the stew. Enjoy!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 to 55 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
¼ cup olive oil
One 2-1/2 to 3-pound chicken, skinned and cut into pieces (with bones)
3 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half –AND-
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 medium-large brown or white onion, finely chopped (a contemporary addition)
1 cup white wine
1-1/2 to 2 cups cold water
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ to ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons honey
4 large, fresh peaches, peeled, pitted & cut into 1-1/2 inch slices
One 16-ounce bag frozen, sliced peaches
1 large zucchini, cut into 1-inch rings (discard ends)
6 to 8 fresh mint sprigs (minced and scattered over chicken or used as garnish)
1. In an 8-quart saucepot, heat the oil.
2. When oil is hot, add the chicken pieces and brown them on all sides on medium-high heat.
3. When chicken has browned, stir in the onions; cook onions 2 minutes or until they are translucent.
4. Add the wine and cook chicken, on medium-high heat (uncovered) for 7 to 8 minutes or until wine has thickened. Stir occasionally.
5. After wine has thickened and slightly reduced, add 1-1/2 cups water, the cumin, black pepper and 1 tablespoon honey.
6. Cook chicken 14 to 15 minutes on medium-high heat until liquid has thickened.
7. After 14 to 15 minutes, stir in remaining ½ cup water, peaches & .
8. Cook chicken on medium-high heat, covered, for 10 minutes; stir occasionally.
9. After 10 minutes, add the zucchini rings and cook 2 minutes or until zucchini is crunchy-tender.
10. Taste the stew. Adjust seasonings and honey, to taste.
11. Transfer chicken to serving platter, garnish with mint sprigs; serve immediately.
Text & Photographs ©2017 Nancy DeLucia Real