SEE RECIPE FOTO ON FACEBOOK/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ;
INSTAGRAM/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ; TWITTER/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 35 to 45 minutes
Makes: One 9-inch pie
Is there anything more delicious and refreshing than a homemade pie? This peach pie recipe is easy because it requires ready-made pie pastry. You won’t fret over rolling out any pastry. Served with ice cream or gelato, this peach pie will impress ’em all!
One package ready-made Trader Joe’s Pie Crusts (package contains 2 raw pastry sheets), thawed, per manufacturer’s directions
Your favorite brand ready-made, raw pie pastry, thawed, per manufacturer’s directions
1 cup granulated, unbleached sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose, unbleached white flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 cups sliced peaches (first, peel the peaches; then slice them)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Peach Filling:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Place one pie crust or pastry in a 9-inch pie plate (glass or metal); edges may overlap a little.
3. Using a fork, poke holes in pastry (this will prevent it from puffing up during baking); set aside.
4. In a 2-cup bowl, stir together the sugar, flour and cinnamon; set aside.
5. Meanwhile, place the peeled and sliced peaches in a 4 to 6-quart bowl.
6. Gently stir in the flour-sugar mixture with a spoon until the peaches have absorbed it all.
7. Add the lemon juice and vanilla extract to the peach filling.
8. Using a large serving spoon, transfer the peach filling to the pastry-lined pie pan; set aside.
Assembling the Pie:
1. In the meantime, take the second pie pastry out of its wrapping and place it on a lightly-floured smooth surface.
2. Using a cutting wheel or straight-edged, sharp knife, cut a 3/4-inch wide strip of pastry.
3. Place the pastry strip over peach filling in pie plate.
4. Cut 3/4-inch wide strips from remaining pastry; place 3 more strips, spaced 1-inch apart, on pie filling. Make sure the strips are parallel to each other.
5. In a diagonal fashion, place 4 more strips over the first layer of pastry strips.
6. Using your fingers, crimp or paste together the edges of the pastry in a fluted manner. This process seals the pie.
7. Gently cover pastry edges of pie with aluminum foil strips measuring 2-inches wide. This will prevent blackening of the pastry edges.
8. Transfer pie to a rack positioned in center of oven.
9. If using a glass pie plate, bake the pie for 30 minutes.
10. If using a metal plate, bake the pie for 35 minutes.
11. To test doneness of pie, insert a sharp, pointed knife through center of pie. If fruit feels soft, the pie is done. If not, bake for an additional 5 to 8 minutes and test again.
12. When pie is done, set it on a rack or trivet on kitchen counter to cool.
13. Serve peach pie warm or cold with vanilla ice cream or gelato!
Text & Photograph ©2023 Nancy DeLucia Real