SEE RECIPE FOTO ON FACEBOOK/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ;
INSTAGRAM/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ; TWITTER/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ!
Prep time: 18 to 25 minutes for roasting & cooling eggplant
Prep time: 10 minutes for dip
Serves: 4 to 6
On my trip to Turkey in April, I was served an eggplant dip that was so delicious, I knew I had to make it myself. I did! Here’s the recipe.
2 medium eggplants
2 to 3 tablespoons tahini (found in Middle Eastern supermarkets)
Juice from 1 lemon or lime
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 to 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses – optional (found in Middle Eastern supermarkets)
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 a bunch fresh Italian, flat leaf parsley
Directions for Broiling or Grilling Eggplant:
1. Place the eggplant on a baking sheet.
2. Set baking sheet on an oven rack set 6 inches below the top broiler element.
3. Broil eggplant 6 to 8 minutes per side, until it looks wrinkled and soft. Alternatively, you can grill the eggplant directly on an outdoor barbecue grill.
4. When eggplant is done, transfer it to a platter and let it cool.
Prepare the Eggplant Dip:
1. After cooling, cut and discard stem and skin from eggplant.
2. Place eggplant flesh in a colander; let it drain over a bowl for about 10 minutes.
3. After eggplant has drained, transfer it to a food processor.
4. Add 2 tablespoons tahini, lemon or lime juice, crushed garlic, 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses and about 1/2 teaspoon each salt & ground pepper.
5. Process the mixture until it is lumpy-smooth.
6. Taste the eggplant dip and adjust seasonings, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses and tahini, if needed.
7. Add leaves from 8 to 10 parsley sprigs and process once more. DO NOT LET PARSLEY LEAVES DISINTEGRATE.
8. Transfer the eggplant dip to a serving bowl & garnish with remaining parsley sprigs. Serve with pita wedges, tortilla chips or bread toasts.
Text & Photograph ©2023 Nancy DeLucia Real