SEE RECIPE FOTO ON FACEBOOK/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ;
INSTAGRAM/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ; TWITTER/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 15 minutes at 425°F and 45 minutes at 350°F
Makes: One 9-inch pie
Every year, pumpkin pies can become redundant, routine and plain boring, right? This year, for Halloween, I decided to change the “look” of my pumpkin pie by adding some decoration to it. I hope you make this Halloween pie – it’s so easy and fun!
Ready-made, frozen pastry for one 9-inch pie (thaw per manufacturer’s directions & set in a 9-inch pie plate)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
One can (16 ounces) pureed pumpkin
One can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
Halloween pumpkin face sticker decorations
ready-made whipped cream
1. Set oven rack in middle of oven; heat the oven to 425°F.
2. Using 2-inch wide aluminum foil strips, cover edges of pastry in pie pan.
3. With a fork, poke a few holes in bottom of pastry; set aside.
4. In a blender, combine the eggs, sugar, spices, salt, pureed pumpkin and evaporated milk.
5. Blend until ingredients are combined and look uniform; set aside.
6. Pour the blended, liquid ingredients in pie pan.
7. Gently transfer the filled pie pan to a rack set in middle of oven.
8. Bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, lower oven temperature to 350°F.
9. Bake for an additional 30 minutes. During last 5 minutes of baking, carefully remove and discard the aluminum foil strips.
10. After 30 minutes of baking, using oven mitts, carefully transfer the pie to a cooling rack or wooden board. Let pie cool completely.
11. When pie is cool, refrigerate it for 3 hours or overnight.
12. At serving time, decorate the pie by transforming it into a pumpkin face!
13. Set it on table for all to admire. When ready to serve, remove stickers, slice the pie and serve on individual plates.
14. Garnish each slice with whipped cream. Enjoy!
Text & Photograph ©2023 Nancy DeLucia Real