SEE RECIPE FOTO ON FACEBOOK/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ;
INSTAGRAM/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ; TWITTER/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 6 to 7 minutes
Makes: 38 to 40 cookies
2 cups all-purpose, white unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup molasses
3/4 cup granulated sugar set in a shallow bowl (for rolling cookie dough prior to baking)
Two 18 X 12-inch rectangular baking sheets lined with parchment paper
Prepare the Cookie Dough:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a 6-cup bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt; set aside.
3. In a stand mixer fitted with a bowl, cream together the butter, 1 cup sugar, egg and molasses. Alternatively, use a hand mixer and a separate 8-cup bowl.
4. Gradually beat in the flour mixture until combined and a cookie dough has formed; set aside.
Shaping the Cookies:
1. Place a 2-cup bowl with cold water on counter.
2. Place 3/4 granulated sugar in another 2-cup bowl on counter.
3. Wet your hands and shape a 1-inch piece of dough into a ball.
4. Roll the dough ball in the sugar set in a bowl.
5. Place the dough ball on a one of the baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
6. Shape remaining dough balls, roll them in sugar and place two inches apart on baking sheet.
7. Continue this procedure until you have assembled both baking sheets.
Ready to Bake:
1. Place baking sheets on upper and lower oven racks, respectively.
2. Bake cookies for 3 minutes.
3. After 3 minutes, invert upper and lower baking sheets; bake for an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until edges turn golden brown.
4. Transfer baking sheets to a wooden board or counter for cooling.
5. After cookies have cooled completely, using a spatula, transfer them to a serving platter. The cookies can also be stored in an airtight container in refrigerator up to two weeks.
FOR MAKING AHEAD AND FREEZING – store cookies in double Ziploc freezer bags up to two months.
TO THAW – SET COOKIES ON A PLATTER THREE (3) HOURS BEFORE SERVING.
Text & Photograph ©2022 Nancy DeLucia Real