Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 12 to 15 minutes
Need a fresh pizza with fresh ingredients in minutes? Simply pick up some readymade pizza dough, Arugula, onions and a bell pepper. Add a few herbs and olive oil.
Then, walk out of your 3-Michelin-star kitchen wearing a toque or chef’s hat. Serve this Arugula, Onion & Bell Pepper Pizza, and you’ve just knocked ’em dead!
1/3 cup olive oil
One Trader Joe’s® Plain Pizza Dough (in refrigerated section of store), set on counter at room temperature for 1 hour
1/2 of a red onion, thinly sliced
4 to 5 green onions, dark tips removed and flesh cut into circles
1/2 of a red or green bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 cups wild Arugula leaves, washed and spun-dry
2 sprigs fresh oregano leaves, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
1 tablespoon thyme leaves (stripped from their stems)
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Spread about 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil on a 12X18-inch rectangular baking sheet; set aside.
3. Place the pizza dough on the oiled baking sheet. With oiled fingers, gently extend the dough by pressing in its center with your fingertips – take care not to tear the dough.
4. Continue extending the dough until it covers entire surface of baking sheet.
5. Drizzle remaining olive oil evenly over dough.
6. Place onions, bell pepper, Arugula leaves, oregano and thyme leaves evenly over dough.
7. Sprinkle salt and pepper, to taste.
8. Set the baking sheet with assembled pizza on a rack positioned in center of oven.
9. Bake the pizza for 7 to 8 minutes.
10. After 7 to 8 minutes, lower oven temperature to 400°F.
11. Bake the pizza for an additional 5 to 6 minutes or until bottom of crust looks golden brown when lifted with a spatula.
12. Serve the pizza hot with your favorite red or white wine.
Text & Photograph ©2016 Nancy DeLucia Real