This recipe is the perfect solution for a quick fixin’ of turkey leftovers – in the gourmet mode. The Cranberry Orange Sauce should be made ahead of time and, of course, goes well with our upcoming Thanksgiving dinner. The next day or for the entire post-holiday week, simply sauté some shredded turkey with onions, heat up a few tortillas et voila! The combined flavors of roasted turkey and cranberry orange sauce intertwined with a hot tortilla will satisfy any palate. Buen Provecho!
Prep time: 15 minutes (for the turkey filling & burrito assembly)
Cook time: 15 minutes (for the sauce – makes 2-1/2 cups)
Recipe makes: 4 burritos
For the Cranberry Orange Sauce:
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
2 cups fresh cranberries
Juice of one orange
1 cup cold water
3/4 cup granulated sugar
One 3-inch cinnamon stick (optional)
1. In a cup, stir together the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a 2-quart saucepot, stir remaining ingredients together.
3. Set saucepot on stove burner, uncovered, on high heat setting. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to low setting and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes or until cranberries pop and a sauce has formed.
5. While sauce is simmering, stir in the cornstarch mixture; cook and stir 1 additional minute.
6. Remove and discard cinnamon stick. Transfer the sauce to a Pyrex or porcelain bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, set on a counter and cool completely.
7. The sauce can be made up to one week ahead, stored and covered in a glass or porcelain container and refrigerated.
For the Burritos:
1. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil. Add turkey and onion.
2. Cook on medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and turkey meat toasts and becomes light golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Transfer cooked turkey filling to a glass or porcelain bowl, cover and keep warm.
For the Turkey Filling & the Burritos:
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups shredded, cooked turkey meat (light or dark meat)
1/2 cup chopped white or brown onion
1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
Four 10-inch flour tortillas*
1. Wipe the same skillet clean and place on stove burner on medium low setting.
2. Warm up the tortillas in skillet, two at a time, inverting them occasionally until warmed through.
3. Transfer both warmed tortillas to a flat working surface.
4. With one tortilla in front of you, place 1/4 of the turkey filling one inch from edge closest to you. Slightly spread the filling to the sides, horizontally, until it is one inch from tortilla sides.
5. Beginning the burrito roll up by picking up the tortilla edge closest to you.
6. Roll up the burrito halfway. Fold in the tortilla sides and continue the roll up until you have formed a burrito.
7. Warm up remaining two tortillas and repeat burrito assembly.
Gobble up the burritos immediately!
*Preferred tortilla brands: Guerrero or Diana (other types tend to be dry). Tortillas can be found in most supermarkets or in Latin American markets.
Text and Photographs ©2010 Nancy DeLucia Real