During the winter months, we either eat comfort foods that are super-rich or we grab snacks that turn into extra pounds very quickly.
To get back into a low-fat regime, try this delicious cucumber salad. The cucumbers are marinated in distilled vinegar, water and honey. This Marinated Cucumber Salad takes just a few minutes to prepare. It’s a non-fat recipe and you can also enjoy it as an appetizer or a snack.
Prep time: 10 to 15 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
1 cup cold water
1/2 cup distilled vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt
Dash ground black pepper
8 to 10 Persian cucumbers
1 medium carrot
1/2 cup thinly-sliced red onion, soaked in cold water and squeezed dry
1. In a 2-quart glass or porcelain bowl, whisk together the water, vinegar, honey, salt and black pepper; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, rinse the cucumbers in cold water. Cut off and discard cucumber tips.
3. Peel the cucumbers and slice them into 1/8-inch thick circles.
4. Add the cucumber circles to the marinade in bowl; set aside.
5. In the meantime, rinse the carrot in cold water. Cut off and discard tips.
6. Peel the carrot and slice it into 1/8-inch thick circles.
7. Add the carrot slices to the cucumbers in bowl.
8. Add the drained onion slices to the cucumber mixture in bowl.
9. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
10. Refrigerate the cucumber salad for 2 hours – this will allow time for marinating the salad.
11. At serving time, drain the salad and transfer it to a serving bowl or platter.
12. Serve Marinated Cucumber Salad immediately.
Note: Should the Marinated Cucumber Salad stay in refrigerator overnight, the cucumbers will become soft and watery.
Text and Photograph ©2014 Nancy DeLucia Real