Lookin’ to make a splash with a fresh and colorful appetizer this summer? Here’s a cool, mouth-watering recipe. These cute looking kiwi, mozzarella and papaya starters appeal to the eye as well as to the palate. And when this bright platter makes its appearance, you’ll notice your guests’ eyes pop out of their sockets and hear them utter the word, “Wowwwwwww!”
Prep time: 25 to 30 minutes
Makes: 4 to 6 skewers
1 Hawaiian papaya
1 bunch watercress, rinsed and spun dry in a salad spinner
5 kiwis, peeled
1 pint cherry tomatoes (2 cups)
8 ounces fresh mozzarella balls (one-inch mozzarella balls packaged in water)
Six 12-inch wooden skewers
Melon ball scooper
Salt and pepper, to taste
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
1. Cut papaya in half and remove seeds with a spoon; set aside.
2. Remove largest and most perfect leaves from watercress stem; set leaves aside and discard stems.
3. Using a melon ball scooper, carve out one-inch balls from the flesh of both papaya and kiwis, setting them aside on a plate as you go along.
4. Take 1 skewer and put it through the center of a watercress leaf, making sure the leaf is pushed to the opposite end of the skewer.
5. Add a mozzarella ball, a watercress leaf, a papaya ball, a watercress leaf, a tomato, a watercress leaf and a kiwi. Repeat pattern until skewer is complete.
6. Assemble the remaining skewers in the same manner.
7. When all skewers are assembled, place them on a serving platter.
8. Sprinkle the skewers with a dash of salt and pepper, followed by a drizzle of the olive oil.
9. Serve immediately.
Alternatively, prepare up to 4 hours ahead, cover with plastic and refrigerate until ready to serve.
The Kiwi, Mozzarella & Papaya skewers will keep, refrigerated, up to two days (by the next day, the kiwi may not be as firm but it will still be edible).
Text and Photographs ©2010 Nancy DeLucia Real