SEE RECIPE FOTO ON FACEBOOK/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ;
INSTAGRAM/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ; TWITTER/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ!
Granita is a frozen Italian dessert, usually made with fresh fruit. It’s similar to sorbet. This melon granita recipe is so easy to make. The freezer does it all, even while you sleep. Enjoy this cool dessert on a hot summer day!
Active Prep Time: 5 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 4 hours or overnight
Makes: 4 half-cup servings
2 cups melon cubes (cantaloup or honeydew)
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Juice from 1/2 of a lime
One small watermelon and melon scooper (for garnish)
Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
1. In a blender, combine the melon, water, sugar and lime juice; puree until smooth.
2. Gently pour the melon mixture into a 9-inch round metal baking pan; transfer it to a freezer, uncovered.
3. Freeze the melon mixture for 4 hours or overnight.
4. After the melon mixture has become frozen, prepare the watermelon balls.
5. Using a melon scooper, form about 32 to 36 watermelon balls and place them on a plate; cover and store the watermelon balls in refrigerator.
6. Saving remaining watermelon for another use.
7. Meanwhile, place pan with frozen melon mixture on a counter.
8. Using a fork, make scrape-marks in the frozen melon mixture.
9. The scraping will create flakes – this is the “granita”.
10. Continue scraping until all the granita is made.
11. Divide the granita among 4 half-cup glass or porcelain bowls such as ramekins.
12. Place the bowls on a small, individual plates – garnish with watermelon balls and fresh mint sprigs. Serve immediately.
Text & Photograph ©2022 Nancy DeLucia Real