In the last two weeks, as I’ve gone up and down the stalls at the Santa Monica Farmers’ Market, it’s been difficult to ignore the bright, multicolored cherry tomatoes. Don’t they look spectacular?
In response to one of our Facebook friends, here’s a recipe for tomatoes and basil (btw, we’re using cherry tomatoes here). Simply, cut the cherry tomatoes in half, add salt, pepper, extra virgin olive oil and basil. Get some good European-style bread and eat your heart out! Now, who says you have to cook to eat well?
Prep time: 15 minutes (for washing and cutting the tomatoes)
One quart cherry tomatoes, washed & dried with paper towels
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
2 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 to 5 large fresh basil leaves, washed & dried with paper towels
1. Remove stem from each cherry tomato. Cut each tomato in half; set halved tomatoes in a serving bowl.
2. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Using two spoons, gently stir in 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Toss and taste.
4. If needed, add a little more olive oil, one tablespoon at a time. Taste the tomatoes with each olive oil addition.
5. Using kitchen shears, cut the basil leaves into slivers; toss the basil slivers into the tomato salad.
Serve Cherry Tomatoes & Basil with fresh, crusty bread.
Text and Photographs ©2014 Nancy DeLucia Real