Shopping for fresh fruit and vegetables at Farmers’ Markets brings me back to my days in Italy. As I accompanied my grandmother or “Nonna Annunziata“, the maestra advised me on how to choose the best ingredients for our meals.
Right now, it’s time for easy, no-fuss summer meals. The simplest side or vegetable that works for me is roasted potatoes. This classic recipe made with rosemary and garlic pairs well with any grilled meat, poultry or fish. Add a green salad dressed with extra virgin olive oil and vinegar. Buon appetito!
2-1/2 to 3 pounds mixed, small potatoes (white, red and purple potatoes)
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tablespoons fresh, chopped rosemary leaves
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Meanwhile, wash and dry the potatoes.
3. Place potatoes in a 12X16 rectangular baking dish.
4. Add the olive oil, garlic, rosemary leaves, salt and ground black pepper to the potatoes.
5. Using your hands, toss all ingredients together until the potatoes are evenly coated.
6. Place the baking dish with potatoes on an oven rack set in center of preheated oven.
7. Roast the potatoes for 25 minutes.
8. After 25 minutes, toss the potatoes.
9. Roast the potatoes for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until they are tender.
10. To test doneness of potatoes, insert a fork into one of them. If the potato is tender, it is done.
11. Serve Roasted Summer Potatoes immediately.
Text & Photograph ©2014 Nancy DeLucia Real