Need to kick up organic spinach so that it tastes awesome?
First, add some “heat” to onions by sautéing them with fresh chiles in extra virgin olive oil. Next, toss in the spinach. In minutes, you’ve created a hot and spicy side dish for meat, poultry or fish. Alternatively, enjoy Organic Spinach with Onion Heat atop some toasted Italian bread.
Prep time: 15 minutes
2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 brown or white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 fresh, red or green hot chile, sliced
12 ounces organic, baby spinach leaves, washed and spun-dry
salt, to taste
1. In a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium-high setting.
2. When oil is hot, add the onion and chile; stir-fry until onion is translucent and light golden.
3. Toss in the spinach leaves.
4. Using tongs, gently mix to bring the onion slices to the surface of the spinach.
5. Stir-fry, constantly mixing with tongs, on medium-high heat just until the spinach has wilted and barely looks cooked.
6. Add salt, to taste. Serve immediately.
Text and Photograph ©2015 Nancy DeLucia Real