Here’s an easy appetizer to go along with the bubbly on New Year’s Eve – eat, drink and be cautious.
Happy New Year!
Prep time: 20 to 25 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
18 slices toasts made from baguette bread (½-inch thick slices)
10 slices prosciutto (they should not be paper thin, but a little thicker)
6 green onions, dark green stems and bottom tips cut and discarded
3 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves removed & stems discarded
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Arugula leaves, optional (for garnish)
1. Toast the bread slices until they are light golden brown; set them aside on a platter.
2. Coarsely chop the prosciutto slices and set aside in a bowl.
3. Meanwhile, cut the green onions in 1/8-inch thick circles; set aside in a separate bowl.
4. Chop the oregano leaves; set them aside on the cutting board.
5. With stove setting on high, heat the olive oil in a skillet. When the oil is hot, add the chopped prosciutto with onions and chopped oregano.
6. Reduce heat to medium and, with a wooden spoon, stir-fry the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes or until the onions are softened and translucent.
7. Stir in the pepper. Spread the prosciutto mixture evenly over toasts.
8. If desired, garnish with arugula leaves and serve immediately.
Text and Photograph ©2015 Nancy DeLucia Real