SEE RECIPE FOTO ON FACEBOOK/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ;
INSTAGRAM/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ; TWITTER/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ!
These almond-cornmeal cookies will steal the show at. your Easter brunch or dinner!
Prep time: 20 – 25 minutes
Bake time: 12 to 14 minutes
Makes: 25 cookies
1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
3/4 cups cornmeal (raw polenta)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/8 cups unbleached, granulated sugar
2/3 cups blanched almonds, toasted & ground
7 ounces unsalted butter, softened
3 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
25 blanched whole almonds (to place at top center of each cookie)
Directions for Mixing Dough:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Line two 18 X 12-inch baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
3. Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt into a 3- quart mixing bowl.
4. Make a well in center of flour mixture; stir the sugar, ground almonds, butter, egg yolks & vanilla extract in center of well.
5. Using a pastry cutter, combine all ingredients; mix to form a dough.
6. Knead the dough until it is uniform.
Shaping & Baking the Cookies:
1. Shape dough into 1-1/2-inch balls and place them 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
2. Press a whole blanched almond on top center of each cookie dough.
3. Bake cookies for 7 minutes.
4. After 7 minutes, invert top baking sheet with lower baking sheet; bake for an additional 8 to 13 minutes or until cookie edges turn light golden brown.
5. Cool and serve.
6. Alternatively, cool completely and store cookies in double Ziploc® freezer bags for up to one month.
Text & Photograph ©2021 Nancy DeLucia Real