SEE RECIPE FOTO ON FACEBOOK/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ;
INSTAGRAM/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ; TWITTER/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ!
Kids of all ages will love this orange-colored Halloween meal – Spook Pasta! Made with fresh pumpkin, it’s healthy, fast and fun!
Prep time: 15 to 20 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
6 cups peeled, cubed pumpkin, boiled & drained (reserve 1-1/2 cups of the cooking liquid)
1 cube vegetarian or chicken bouillon
1 pound pasta (short variety)
1 teaspoon salt
grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese (optional, for garnish)
1. Place cooked and cooled pumpkin cubes into a food processor or blender; puree until smooth.
2. Transfer the pureed pumpkin to a 2 to 3-quart saucepot; stir in 3/4 cup of the reserved cooking liquid.
3. Bring the pumpkin sauce to a boil; add the bouillon cube and stir.
4. Cook on low heat, stirring often, for about 4-5 minutes. Taste and add a little salt, if needed.
5. Cover the pumpkin sauce and set aside on a cool burner.
6. Meanwhile, bring a 4-quart saucepot of water to a boil.
7. Add the pasta and 1 teaspoon salt; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until pasta is “al dente” (crunchy-tender).
8. In the meantime, bring the pumpkin sauce to a boil. If it is too thick, add a little more cooking liquid.
9. Drain the pasta and return it to the saucepot.
10. Add 2 to 3 ladles of the pumpkin sauce to the pasta; stir to heat evenly over medium heat.
11. Add more pumpkin sauce, to taste.
12. Serve the Spook Pasta immediately; garnish with cheese.
Text & Photograph ©2021 Nancy DeLucia Real