SEE RECIPE FOTO ON FACEBOOK/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ;
INSTAGRAM/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ; TWITTER/THE KITCHEN BUZZZ!
Make these easy and delicious pickled onions for grilled meats, poultry and seafood all summer. Once made, the onions keep for up to two weeks (refrigerated). Enjoy!
Prep time: 5 – 10 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
1 large red onion, peeled & thinly sliced
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup white Balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1-1/2 tablespoons honey
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1. Place onions (tightly-packed) in a one-pint mason jar or other glass jar.
2. In a 4-cup saucepot, combine the water, vinegars, nectar, honey, salt and chili flakes.
3. Bring mixture to a simmering boil.
4. Place jar with onions in a sink to avoid splatters.
5. Pour the pickling liquid over the onions; let stand until the jar is warm to the touch.
6. Sprinkle the oregano over top of onions.
7. Cover the jar with a tightly fitted lid and refrigerate for at least one hour.
8. Serve cold as a side or garnish to meats, poultry and seafood. Alternatively, add the pickled onions to meat, vegetarian or vegan tacos and salads.
9. Pickled Red Onions will keep, refrigerated, up to one week.
Text & Photograph ©2021 Nancy DeLucia Real