Advertise Your Product Here – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Active Prep time: 50 to 55 minutes
Inactive Prep time (rising of dough): 1 hour and 15 minutes
Bake time: 15 to 20 minutes
In the past months, I’ve avoided soy and corn flours which are “snuck” into many baked products we buy (read the labels carefully). Soy and corn are GMO’s or “genetically modified organisms”. In simple terms, soy, corn and other gmo’s are modified or “altered” at the gene level.
In an effort to say healthy, I’ve switched to Bob’s Red Mill® Organic, Unbromated flour products exclusively.
Why not try your hand at baking organic olive-rosemary rolls. Worried about rising and bake times? Do your laundry or get your other work done while waiting. The aroma of freshly baked bread will warm your heart and soul. And, you’ll never buy that ready-made brand again.
1 envelope yeast
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 cups warm water
One 10 to 15-ounce jar or can of organic Kalamata olives (drained, pitted and coarsely chopped)
One 5-inch sprig fresh, organic rosemary (leaves removed and stem discarded)
1 large clove garlic, peeled
1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 jalapeno pepper (optional), stem cut and discarded
1 large organic egg
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3-1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill® unbleached, organic and unbromated, all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill® organic, whole wheat flour
1. In a 1-quart saucepot, combine the yeast and sugar; set aside.
2. In a separate 1-quart sauce pot, warm up the water. It should be slightly warmer than lukewarm. Pour 1 cup of the water over the yeast and sugar mixture. Cover and set aside on a warm surface such as a wood board (no granite, marble or stone*). Let the yeast mixture rise for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a food processor, grind together the rosemary leaves, garlic, sea salt and jalapeno pepper; set aside.
4. After the yeast mixture has risen for 15 minutes and looks puffed up, transfer it to a 6 to 8-quart glass or porcelain mixing bowl. Alternatively, transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer.
5. On low mixing speed, stir in the rosemary-garlic mixture and the chopped Kalamata olives. Add the egg, olive oil and 1/2 cup warm water. Blend on low speed for 30 seconds; set aside.
6. In a separate 2-quart bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour with 1-1/2 cups wheat flour (reserve the remaining 1 cup all-purpose flour for when you will knead the dough).
7. Gradually stir the combined flours into the bowl with wet ingredients until a sticky dough forms. Mix on low for about 1 minute or until the dough looks uniform.
7. Turn out dough onto a floured board. With floured hands, gently knead the dough, letting it absorb a little flour at a time. This is what it will look like:
8. When dough is soft but no longer sticks to your hands, transfer it to a large, oiled bowl. Cover the dough in bowl with a clean cloth.
9. Set the bowl on a wood board (no granite, marble or stone), away from draft, to rise for 45 minutes.
10. After 45 minutes, punch down the dough in its center. Turn the dough out onto lightly-floured board.
11. With floured hands and using a knife, cut off dough in pieces measuring 2-inches. Shape the dough pieces into 24 to 30 balls.
12. Divide the dough balls among two greased and floured 12 X 18-inch baking sheets. Set the dough balls 2 inches apart on the baking sheets:
13. Cover the baking sheets containing the dough balls with a clean cloth; set aside to rise on a wood board, away from draft for 30 minutes.
14. Preheat oven to 475°F. Place baking sheets in oven. Immedialy lower oven temperature to 450°F. Bake the rolls for 8 minutes.
15. After 8 minutes, invert the baking sheets (put the upper sheet on lower rack and vice-versa).
16. After 7 more minutes, insert a pointed knife in center of one bread roll. If knife comes out clean, the rolls are done. TOTAL BAKING TIME WILL BE ABOUT 15 MINUTES.
Et voila – presenting Organic Olive-Rosemary Rolls!
Serve rolls warm.
TO FREEZE ROLLS: Let the rolls cool completely. Store in double Ziploc® bags and freeze up to 1 month.
TO THAW ROLLS: Take rolls out of Ziploc® bags and set them on a baking sheet on kitchen counter to thaw for 30 minutes. Warm up for 10 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven.
*Note: Setting yeast mixture or yeast bread on a “cold” surface will halt the “rising” process.
Text and All Photographs ©2013 Nancy DeLucia Real