Have you ever reached for an onion in the refrigerator drawer, but also found some forgotten, mixed peppers? Well, now you can turn it all into a delicious frittata and presto – you just made a nutritious breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Prep time: 20 to 25 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups thinly sliced mixed red, yellow or green bell peppers
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced (optional)
1 yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
8 eggs, beaten with 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1. In a 12-inch, nonstick skillet set on medium-high, heat the oil.
2. When oil is hot but not smoking, stir fry all peppers and onion for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is translucent.
3. Lower heat (on lowest setting) and add beaten eggs to the pepper-onion mixture.
4. Cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Uncover and with a spatula, lift frittata edges, tilting pan to let raw egg escape to bottom of pan.
6. Cover and cook an additional 2 minutes.
7. After 2 minutes, uncover and with the spatula, lift frittata edges, tilting pan to let raw egg escape to bottom of pan. Cook for an additional 3 minutes.
8. Uncover the frittata and, place a 14-inch round, flat platter over skillet.
9. With one hand securely holding skillet handle and the other firmly holding platter, make a quick flip (you will have raw side of frittata underneath and cooked side on top).
10. Slide the frittata back into skillet and cook one more minute.
11. Transfer the frittata to a platter and cut it nto 8 wedges or other decorative shapes.
Serve immediately with a salsa, tomatoes and bread or hot tortillas.
Text and Photographs ©2010 Nancy DeLucia Real
Looks delicious…..Que rico!!!
It is “rico”. Did you try it?