Yesterday was a HOT day and I felt like eating something fresh and fun! I immediately thought of picking up a sweet, crisp watermelon at the supermarket – a delicious summer fruit. For the fun part, I was thinking of frozen treats or yogurt and all the toppings that I go crazy over (especially those chewy bits of mochi). I think you figured it out, right?
These watermelon pops are lots of fun – each bite is a curious surprise!
Active prep time: 10 minutes
Inactive prep time: 4 hours or overnight (for freezing)
Makes: 10 ice pops
4 cups watermelon chunks (1-inch pieces)
Juice of 2 limes
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup unbleached, granulated sugar
10 plastic ice pop molds
1 cup mini mochi pieces (available at most frozen yogurt stores)
1. Put the watermelon, lime juice, water and sugar in a blender and “pulse-blend” until ingredients are mixed, but not watery. Taste and adjust sugar or lime juice levels.
2. Divide the watermelon mixture evenly among 10 ice pop molds.
3. Place a few mochi pieces on top of the watermelon mixture in each mold.
4. Add plastic ice pop stick or wooden popsicle stick and freeze 4 hours or overnight.
To Unmold Mochi Watermelon Ice Pops:
1. Place exterior section of ice pop molds underneath hot, running water until the ice pops fall out.
2. When unmolding, if ice pops are watery all around, place them on a metal baking sheet and return to freezer for 3 to 4 minutes. Serve.
Text and Photograph © 2011 Nancy DeLucia Real