Salade Nicoise is a salad that originated in the city of Nice, located on France’s southern Mediterranean coast. Traditional ingredients for this salad are composed of raw vegetables, anchovies and tuna. In American restaurants the Nicoise Salad includes various types of lettuce, potatoes, green beans and hardboiled eggs. Because I favor salmon over tuna and love all types of fresh vegetables, I created a special version of this great French salad which is perfect for summer. Bon Appetit!
PREPARE AND ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
8 small potatoes (red or white), cooked and cooled
6 ounces French green beans, cooked and cooled and sliced
4 hardboiled eggs, cooled and peeled
3 cups loosely packed fresh arugula leaves
3 cups loosely packed baby Romaine lettuce or mixed salad greens
1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup Kalamata olives
1/2 cup Spanish Manzanilla olives
8 marinated artichoke hearts
1 pound fresh salmon, divided into fourths and poached or grilled
1. Cut potatoes in half; set aside (potatoes can be cooked a day ahead & refrigerated, uncut).
2. Cut green beans in half crosswise; set aside (green beans can be cooked a day ahead & refrigerated, uncut).
3. Slice eggs into thirds; set aside (eggs can be cooked a day ahead & refrigerated, uncut).
4. Divide the arugula and lettuce or salad greens evenly among four dinner plates.
5. Divide potatoes, green beans and egg slices, onion slices, olives, artichoke hearts and salmon pieces evenly into four portions; arrange decoratively over lettuce mixture in four plates.
PREPARE THE LEMON VINAIGRETTE DRESSING:
1 garlic clove, crushed or 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons white Balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash freshly ground black pepper
1. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic or shallot, lemon, vinegar and mustard.
2. Slowly whisk in the oils until dressing begins to emulsify.
3. Stir in the salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings.
4. Drizzle vinaigrette over salads.
Note: Dressing can be made up to a day ahead and refrigerated.
Serve immediately with wine.
White wine suggestions: Bordeaux, Pinot Grigio or Viognier.
Text and Photographs ©2010 Nancy DeLucia Real
This looks so delicious and fresh! You’re right–the bright colors and flavors are perfect for summer!
On behalf of Francesca, the queen mother, who made this delicious looking nicoise; she would like to especially point out that the dressing was to die for!
Everyone – make this dressing! It’s a special recipe.